Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Neutopia Rules!

Before I played Neutopia, I'd only played one other game that really reminded me of Zelda. That game, Star Tropics II: Zoda's Revenge, had a elements of Mario, Zelda, and Final Fantasy consolidated together into a formula that was just great. The plot wasn't exactly one you could follow up with another game, but in the back of my mind, I sort of wanted to see another addition to the Star Tropics saga.

That's all pretty irrelevant, but Neutopia also reminds me of Zelda. I totally missed out on the Turbografx-16 as a kid. Clearly, they're trying to emulate the play of the original LoZ. THey do a good job, but I wish they'd opted to make a more free-roaming quest like the original LoZ. You have some degree of freedom and exploration opportunities in Neutopia, but none of that really extends to the dungeon order. There is an order that NPCs insist you follow, but fortunately it seems to be occasionally optional.

I'm about halfway through this great journey now and loving it. Four medallions and I'm waiting for time to find five and six.

I'll end with a final note to Hudson Soft: Neutopia 3. Make it. Just clone Zelda again. It will be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment